I needed to make a gift for our good friends. They were expecting their second baby. But I hadn't made a quilt for their first baby, so the second baby couldn't get his own, right? That's my logic, anyway. So I thought a family quilt would be more appropriate. I made a large throw size quilt (75"x65"), big enough for Kristin and her little boys to snuggle with right now, but sorry, Colin and Taylor boys in the future, it's definitely going to be too short for you. Without really planning it, this quilt became a sampler for the classes I took at QuiltCon 2015. I learned to make the circles and pebbles in a class with Rossie Hutchinson. I also chopped up the doodle I made in Sherri Lynn Wood 's class and incorporated that into the patchwork. The construction of the top was improvisational and ruler-free. I thought much too long and hard about what to do with these blocks from my QuiltCon classes. In the end I threw them haphazardly on my design wall and loved this simple layout. I quilted this on my Juki 2010Q and it's far from perfect but I love it. I did echoes in a few spots and then straight lines or grids on the rest. I'm proud of this one. Everything came together beautifully.
Last year I played with making letters using drunkards path and half square triangle blocks. I wanted to create the entire alphabet in a similar style. I created upper case, lower case, and condensed upper case letters, and put them all together in this quilt. My goal in designing each letter was to use the simplest piecing possible to clearly convey the shape of the letter. That's why I call this my Simple Shapes Alphabet.
I hope to someday write up a pattern or tutorial for all of these letters. They are really pretty simple and many quilters could probably figure out how to make them just by looking at them. A few tricky letters got special treatment, but they are for the most part comprised of whole squares, Drunkard's Path blocks, and half square triangle blocks. Pattern-writing is not my strong suit, so it might take a while for it to happen. But I'll get to it one of these days.
The fabrics for this quilt were generously provided by Andover fabrics. They are mostly Lizzy House prints and Andover's textured solids. I loved working with them. When trying to figure out the layout of the letters and how to use the colors I had been sent, Carrie's Bradshaw's curtains (from the early seasons) came to mind. I love the big grey and coral stripes.
Quilted by Nikki Maroon. Finished quilt measures 77"x93".
A year and a half ago, my dad's mom, my last living grandparent, moved out of her home and into a small apartment attached to a nursing home. We had been wanting her to move closer to family for a long time. So while we were happy she was finally living closer to my parents, so they could look in on her from time to time, the move was very hard on her. I wanted to provide a bit of comfort, if I could.
My grandma was 89 and healthy when I started this quilt, and she was 90, hospitalized, and rapidly declining when I finished it. When she unwrapped it, with help, from her hospital bed, she said, "I don't think anyone has ever spent so much time on me before." This from a woman who had knitted and crocheted countless items for others through the years. I regret that we only had three more weeks with my grandma after that moment. I wish I had given her a quilt earlier, that she could have used and enjoyed longer. But I'm glad she had it for a time, for warmth and comfort in unfamiliar beds, and to know how much she was loved.
My grandma has been gone for almost a year. Her quilt now lives at my mom's house. I love seeing it when we go home to visit.
I love how this pattern uses two sizes of the drunkard's path block to create a super fun flower motif. The applique details in the flower centers are so fun too. Since my Juki only does straight stitch, I had to dig my old Necci out for the zig-zag around the applique. It actually worked! I was so relieved not to have to hand-stitch it. :)
I also quilted this myself, by echoing the flowers. I chose a wool batting to make this quilt extra puffy.
I went with a combination of solids for my version of this quilt. I love how it turned out, but I know from seeing other testers' versions that it looks amazing in some well-chosen prints too. Thanks for asking me to test this adorable pattern, Lindsey! Now I'm just waiting for someone I know to have a little baby girl.
This quilt came about because I finally tried my hand at English paper pieceing (hexies, of course!), and wanted to incorporate some into a quilt.
My idea was to scatter the hexies around, like popcorn popping, on a simple background. For the first time, I made a quilt exclusively using one line of fabric, Waterfront Park by Violet Craft. I made the hexies from a little charm pack that featured the whole line, and then I chose some favorites from the line for the main background and stripes. I love that dark grey with the bridges on it, and the orange and fuscia against it.
For my money (literally and figuratively, haha), the best thing about this quilt is Nikki Maroon's quilting. Each hexie got individual attention, then she did an amazing overall design mixing straight lines and random bursts of paisley. I absolutely love the quilting.
The popcorn quilt is twin-size and will go into my pile of quilts to give away as my nieces, nephew, and boys go off to college.